Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Changes on the Horizon

Fast forward a few years and I'm back. Must be problems on the horizon! Things are great with Spencer. He is now in 2nd grade and thriving in a bilingual elementary school and he's doing well. What isn't great is my work life balance. I have been in the same position for nearly 10 years working for the same amazing boss. I got a new boss in January and am really rethinking about where I want to spend my days. Since we got rid of our full-time nanny (when Spencer started 1st grade)our life has gotten more stressful. My husband travels a fair amount and Spencer has had a hard time adjusting to after school care and camps when we are on break. Life feels like a grind and we've been talking about me working part-time or even staying home. I had coffee with my former boss yesterday who recommends I give notice and get out of here in time for summer. Spend summer at home with my kiddo and then figure out what's next in the fall. I might actually do this and I'm scared to death. I've never not worked. I have had a very successful career and I sort of buy into the logic that you need a job to get a job. I don't know if that is right or wrong. I've also always had a career that to some extent defined me -- or at least a big part of me. To give that up for a short or long time is daunting but I think probably a good thing on the path of self discovery. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment